Here's my table set for Christmas day dinner, elegant and understated was the theme and of course my darling napkin rings took center stage!
- I WILL absolutely start planing out Christmas 2013 in NOVEMBER! You read it here first, please remind me of this next year! I did A LOT of last minute shopping, looking for hard to get items (case in point scoring an i Mac on Christmas eve) the stress o meter was in high gear, I would love to know all my gifts are purchased by Dec.4th. That's my new deadline for 2013!
- It really does pay to take advantage of those day after Christmas sales and stock up for next year, I had fun pulling out previous purchases from last year and to get half off of things like paper, ribbon, holiday decor (which can get very pricey) pays off in spades! I also picking up great little doo dads when on sale and adding them to gifts, such a pretty and inexpensive way to jazz up a gift!
- I will be sure to get a great family picture or at least a picture of my three boys sometime in the summer or fall to avoid the last minute chaos and arguing that ensued trying to get them to take pics 5 days before Christmas! Wish I could say its a joke but it's not....yes this year was way behind! Ended up only taking it of my youngest son and Teddy...at the rate we are going, Teddy will be the last man standing next year, LOL! I WILL get those done early next year!
- You know how at the last minute..the UPS man or mail lady shows up, or there's a teacher or garbageman you want to give a little something to but you forget and then frantically run inside rummaging through your wallet for change? Happens to me all the time! A little tip......this is the ONE thing I did in an organized fashion this year and it was so convenient! I filled about 5 or 6 blank envelops with a generic holiday card and a twenty dollar bill in each. I kept them in a convenient drawer in the kitchen (easy access) It was so nice knowing this was taken care of and believe me I used up every single envelope!
- Love watching things grow from "the ground up". I planted my paperwhites a little late this year but a great rule of thumb is to do this for Thanksgiving, that way you are guaranteed beautiful blooms a week or so before Christmas. Not to mention it is a very inexpensive alternative to buying things already in bloom. I get such enjoyment out of watching something literally come to life, and the smell is heavenly!
My breakfast room
- Priceless things like great pictures and videos still make to me, one of the best gifts. Whats better than getting a treasured picture of those you love in a gorgeous silver frame? It's a great gift and easy! I received such a gift and have to say it was quite possibly my favorite!
- I think the most effective way to decorating is using nice quality fake greens with real greens. In nearly every one of my vignettes I did this, every single one is in fact a combination of good quality faux holiday greenery with real......less mess, more economical and longer lasting!
- Pinecones to me, remain one of the most inexpensive and elegant ways to decorate for the holidays. I have them everywhere, love filling urns with them adding them to vignettes, buying both big and small. They are in my living room, bathrooms, kitchen and dining room....get a glue gun and add them to just about anything, their impact is amazing! They make perfect adornments to gifts as well. Super functional and multi purpose...I pack them up in big plastic bins and reuse them every year.
My family room