Monday 11 March 2013

Tween Girl's Bedroom

 
***************************************************
I recently wrote a post explaining how I gave a boring wicker chair a face lift so it would fit the style of my tween girl's bedroom.  After publishing the post, I realized that I haven't shared the room in it's entirety.  It's occurred to  me on several occasions that I should write a post about the room, but several things kept me from doing so.  First of all, it's never clean.  I know that tween girls are not known for their housekeeping skills, but my tween seems to be unusually messy (do all moms think that about their kids?).  Secondly, I wanted to add window treatments before I shared the room with you.  I've come to terms with the fact that that's not going to happen any time soon.  Finally, this room doesn't have many great DIY projects like my other daughter's room.  I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in a room where most of the décor is store bought.  I personally love looking at rooms of all kinds, whether they be custom designs or catalog creations, so I decided to go ahead and write the post.  I hope you enjoy looking at this little tween retreat.

Welcome to the tween room!  My daughter decorated her bedroom door with these cute little sea creatures.

Her room is small, so there we didn't have many furniture arrangement options.  This arrangement has her dresser doing double duty as a nightstand.



The picture above her bed is the one souvenir she wanted from New York City.  Yea, that's my kid, the one who comes out of the souvenir shop with decor instead of t-shirts and cheap plastic trinkets.  I've taught her well!

Her desk is located on the other side of the room.  It's not as neat as I'd like it to be, but what can I do?  Kids are messy.  I know I have several readers with sweet little babies who are always posting photos of their picture perfect nurseries.  I love looking at those pictures!  Enjoy it while you can, ladies, because I promise you it won't last forever.  This is what your future looks like (and this is after I straightened it up a lot!).

The girl loves her snow globes.

Here's the chair that inspired this post.


This is the best shot I could get of the whole room.

I added a pair of black and white beach photos to a tiny sliver of wall.  I customized the mats with colorful scrapbook paper.
 
My daughter is very fortunate to have a small bathroom attached to her bedroom.  I consider myself fortunate as well, as I wouldn't want to share a bathroom with her.  I'd be tripping over wet towels and empty shampoo bottles every day.  Since the bathroom is attached to her room, we decorated in the same turquoise hue as the bedroom.


 
There's not much space in here for accessories.  Her countertop has just enough room for a coordinating cup, soap dispenser and toothbrush holder.
 
We added this little cabinet when we first moved into the house.  It was a great addition to a small space with very limited storage.  Cleaning supplies and extra rolls of toilet paper are hidden behind those doors.
 
Inexpensive plastic crates keep tween necessities organized and close at hand.
 
I love this doggie picture.  It's probably a Boston Terrier, but my daughter and I like to think it's a French Bulldog, since we have a Frenchie.
 
I hope you enjoyed your tour of this tween bed and bathroom.  I love hope bright and cheerful it is, and I think my daughter feels right at home in the space.
 
SOURCES
  • Paint color - Behr Timeless Tales mixed at 50% intensity
  • Comforter set (comforter, shams, bedskirt), shower curtain, towels, teal accent pillow on chair, bathroom rug, trash can, toothbrush holder - Meijer (regional department store)
  • Zebra rug - JCPenney
  • Lamp with green shade, hamper - Home Goods
  • Dog picture - Marshalls
  • Desk chair, black and white pillow  - TJMaxx
  • White picture frames - Hobby Lobby
  • Cabinet above toilet - Lowes
  • Turquoise crates in bathroom, turquoise desk lamp - Target
  • Striped storage boxes under pictures - Tuesday Morning
 
Linking To:
 
HookingupwithHoH

shabby creek cottage It's Overflowing

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Life on Lakeshore Drive

UndertheTableandDreaming Home Stories A2Z


Today's Creative Blog My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Debbiedoo'sTDC Before and After

    No comments:

    Post a Comment