Sunday, 12 May 2013

Adding Nail Head Trim to Storage Ottomans


Happy Mothers' Day!  I spent the day doing what I love - hanging out with the family, eating lots of fattening food, and, of course, finishing up a DIY project.  This weekend's project was adding nail head trim to some very basic, but very functional storage ottomans.

I found these ottomans at Home Goods about a month ago. 
The fabric has a great texture, much more luxurious than one would expect for $59.99, and the raised seam on the seat is the kind of detail not usually seen at this price point.  The seat of the ottoman can be lifted off to reveal not only a tray, but also a second mini-ottoman.
I think the tray feature is genius.  I'm not really sure how I feel about the baby ottoman.  If I store it inside the mommy ottoman, there's no room left to store blankets and games and magazines as I had originally planned.  The baby ottomans may be destined for Goodwill.
Even with the great fabric, seat details, and functional tray feature, these little ottomans needed a little something extra to fit into my formal living room.  I thought nailhead trim would be the perfect way to add a little bling without going overboard.  When I saw these rolls of nailhead trim, I thought the job would be easy.   This trim has the nailheads on a continuous roll, and you only have to pound in every fifth nail.
If only things went as smoothly as I had envisioned...
My original plan was to add the trim to the sides of the ottomans, about one inch below the top.  Keeping trim straight was a huge challenge, and about 75% of my nails broke.  The other 25% didn't go in straight, making the nailheads look very much like a DIY project gone wrong.
Truth be told, it looks a lot better in this photo than it did in my living room.  It was much wonkier in person.
So, I decided to remove the trim from the sides and try it out on top of the ottoman base.  I'm so glad I did.  If I had continued nailing it to the sides, I'd probably still be working on it.  The nails went into the top so much more easily.  I simply held the nail with a pair of needle nosed pliers while pounding it in with a tack hammer. 
When I came to a corner, I carefully bent the trim to follow the angle, and then continued nailing.

Adding the trim to the top of each ottoman base probably took about fifteen minutes.  Not bad considering how much the trim adds to the formal feel of the room.
Do you like my fake wine?  Can you believe I didn't have any wine in the house when I styled this photo?!  That's just not right on Mothers' Day.
Like so many of my DIY projects, it's not exactly what I had envisioned when I started, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. 
If you're interested in embellishing a storage ottoman of your own, I found a few options that might work for the project on  Let me know how it turns out!
Linking To:
shabby creek cottageIt's Overflowing

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Life on Lakeshore Drive

UndertheTableandDreaming Home Stories A2Z

Today's Creative Blog My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Debbiedoo'sTDC Before and After

No comments:

Post a Comment