Friday 9 September 2011

Things I am loving Fridays and house updates!


Good morning..hectic days over here lately! Some delays which put me in a pretty sour mood, but considering we have had very few overall I am not going to dwell but trying to stay and calm and realize some things are out of my control! That said big progress is being made (and seen every day) so it IS exciting, and so incredibly wonderful to know the end is near! Do you have Fashion night out where you live? In NY its a big deal, I was invited to go with a group of friends to a bunch of neat things happening in the city last night, but between having to get my son from a practice, and being utterly wiped out, I opted out. I have heard wonderful things though.....have any of you been? I am expecting to get calls in a short while telling me all about what a fabulous night it was. Go ahead rub in what I missed!
I have been telling anyone who will listen to my ongoing saga that though fingers crossed we hope to move in about a months time, I can see realistically we have a good solid four months plus left of work that will continue to be done. So while actually moving is going to be amazing, its not like we are moving into a home that will be totally done, cleaned, sparkling waiting for someone to take residence in it..rather it will be like we are living in part of it and yet very much living in somewhat of a work zone still. I don't want to have any false expectations. Hope you are having a great week, we have been inundated again with buckets of rain but thankfully it looks like clear sunny skies are heading their way! So here we go.....


HOUSE UPDATES. I have deliberated about posting every other week because I feel like I often am posting the same pictures, well they might look the same but trust me they are not! Its just that in the finishing stages, things go slooooooow and though in person I see the changes in pictures it might not translate over as successfully. So keep an open mind when looking at these and where possible i will try to  highlight whats new from last week!
More of the paneling getting done
We are buying this small chest to use as a vanity for one of the formal powder rooms
From front door, looks really plain right now but just wait!

Living room
LR

LR

Hallway moldings....

Hallway leading to library
Test paints in hallway
Small vestibule leading to kitchen
Island details getting added....
Kitchen starting to really shape up.....minus the cardboard countertops




Peeking into butlers pantry
From family room
Butlers just getting started....
Family room 
Breakfast room is done minus final coat of sealer
This shows the color a bit better


Back mud room/area going to stain same color as breakfast

Future window seat
Stair complete
My bathroom, waiting for primer and then paint.....tub is done (not primed yet)

I like this unit we had built 
Vanity, we are experimenting with "creamy whites" any suggestions?

Closet color a very cool gray/blue.....
Molding going down stairs....
Living room
Think I am ordering this paper for kitchen powder room.....thoughts?




HARDWARE. This is a big deal for me, I was envisioning and resigned myself to living in my house for a year with a hodge podge of hardware samples taped up on my cabinets. I am proud to say that I made a decision and love what I picked and these bad boys are on their way to me in the next week or so! I went with oil rubbed bronze and chose to use an escutcheon behind the knob on most of the cabinets, a 5 inch pull on all drawers and am going to do something different for the butlers as the oil rubbed bronze gets lost on the really dark cabinetry. So I included whats been ordered for the kitchen first as well as some contenders for the butlers...and would very much love your opinion on what hardware you like for that area!




The chosen knob

That will be placed on this escuthceon

To look like this

With these drawer pulls
And this matching refrigerator and freezer appliance pull 

Now here is where I need you my dear friends......in the butlers pantry, the cabinets are black (technically a very dark stained java but they look black) They have glass fronts, the oil rubbed bronze gets lost so am thinking of going with an antique brass. I would like a knob possibly with an escuthceon but not sure (don't want  it to take away or compete with kitchen) and a pull of some sort for the drawers...so below are the contenders with which to choose from. I will number them so you can reference your opinion with a number! Thank you in advance, always love to hear what you have to say.....

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.


7. 
8.
9.
10.
11.

PAINT. I am starting to feel like the "paint whisperer", in these last few weeks I have been looking at A LOT of paint. I am really becoming expert at dissecting the undertones in whites, creams and grays. Seriously you think white is white.....its a whole other world! Geeezzz, it is downright dizzying to think of the possibilties! Upstairs we mixed Linen White with another color and got a nice creamy white (kept it very neutral) except for my closet where I went with a gray/blue and my sons room where we went with a light tan. Now we are working on downstairs, and thats where it gets overwhelming. We were thinking of maybe a very milky gray for the living room.....many decisions left to be made! Below are some of the paints that I have discovered in my travels that I really like.....
Elephants Breath Farrow and Ball

Pointing Farrow and Ball

LINEN WHITE BENJAMIN MOORE


Pocket Watch White Ralph Lauren Paint

PAPAYA BENJAMIN MOORE

GOLDEN STRAW BENJAMIN MOORE

LIGHT BLUE FARROW AND BALL
HORIZON BENMAJMIN MOORE

 A FEW NEW BOOKS I AM ENJOYING. I just got the Charles Faudree book and it does not disappoint. I always see something fabulous and inspirational enough in his books that gets me thinking in a new direction. I enjoy it, recommend it and am happy to add it to my CF collection of books.  For those of you who love that old New Orleans (and it WILL be that New Orleans again) I got this book from Williams Sonoma which really captures the essence of the grand dame that this city is, loaded with tons of wonderful recipes, this is a great book to any New Orleans fan. It explores and celebrates the cities 300 year old culinary history. Love it!  




Well that's about it for this week! Haven't had many chances to do much else outside of the house realm, but I am not complaining! How about you? Whats new and exciting in your neck of the woods? Always love to know! Have a fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment