Saturday 28 July 2012

Weekend musings.........

Hi..how is your weekend going? Finally the first weekend in a loong time that we only have dinner plans on the calendar and not much else and  I have come down with something! Not sure if its allergies or a cold, but I have basically lost my voice......so looks like it will be a weekend to rest and get better (great weekend to catch the Olympic action). Plus its supposed to thunderstorm and I LOVE being in when its nasty besides not much I can do to fight it. Didn't think allergies could flare up this time of year but several have told me its really bad right now! Onto other things like the house...... Both powder rooms are officially in the works (window treatments) so I am a happy camper. Plus I have other small projects happening..so things are moving and shaking here.

For the powder room off the kitchen, the more casual one....I fell in love with this wallpaper and wanted a more casual fabric for the windows, so got a silk gingham (if there is leftover would love to make a dress out of it)! And don't you LOVE when you find the perfect trim? Well lo and behold I found it my one day last week which was a super productive day..I mean I was on fire. There it was....a no brainer. I didn't  have to think, I ordered it then and there and its en route to the fabricator! Cannot wait to see this room complete. I love completed rooms (really don't have any but its so nice when you know a room is done)!!








My attention next is going to four rooms, I know ambitious for someone who has been pretty lame lately.....but trust me I am pacing myself but need to take full advantage of when the mood strikes! My bedroom, the guest room, the living room and the dining room. The dining room already has the table, and we chose the Charis so now its just finalizing the fabric, and I decided i am going simple, so I can really focus on the chinoiserie walls and allow that to be the statement in the room. For my bedroom and the guest room..I have a small album of inspirations that I keep handy, so here are some of them........

For the guest room I am doing a bed just like the one below.....and fabric inspirations waver between going with the blues and creams to doing something more monochromatic.....hummmm!
This is a very pale green with taupes and beiges

Blue and white...a classic

Another option....

And yet another

Another beautiful pattern

The queen bed will look just like this (with a coordinating check) Anything above standing out to you when you visualize it like the bed below?

For our dining room we have ordered this Ralph Lauren chandelier. We had a beautiful antique chandelier in our old house but its too small for our current dining room. So, this was instant love when I laid eyes on it..cannot wait to see it up! Here it is in the store.....




OK now something I have been thinking about for my kitchen, I LOVE my kitchen, not like but love. It is everything I ever wanted, but one small detail I thought about when I was selecting hardware but chickened out on was putting antique brass hardware on my island. I actually like not seeing everything so "matchy matchy" in a kitchen and like when I see the island have something different, its almost like apiece of furniture. The oil rubbed bronze, though beautiful just blends into the black of the island so its not pronounced. Below is picture for you to see.....and then below it what I am considering, its really beautiful and very heavy duty, looks like it came off of some old yacht or something, it looks aged and is unlacquered brass....thoughts????  Would love to hear your opinions!

And here are some of the pieces...
This beauty comes in 4" and a 12" I would put two 12" on either end of the island to hold towels...like that look!

The heavy duty pulls.....

I love traditional planters, simple, and love anything with a lattice or trellis design. SO I am very excited that I bit the bullet and ordered these gorgeous planters in the limestone finish. They are going to be so pretty with a beautiful topiary of some sort and overflowing white flowers on the bottom with ivy spilling out. I have the vision very alive in my head. This is from the line I carry and I am so in love with each and every thing they carry. Plus these are big, 36" tall by 36" wide...very generous, cannot wait!! Happy birthday to my husband. Dont' tell me i am the only one who gets things I love but likes to act like they are a "gift" for those we love..........
   Then ordered a few of these for the patio......they come in three sizes, very classic design.
So ordered this one for the pool area.....


Debating between all these beauties...HELP! Which one? I want one for around the pool......whichever I do will be in the aged moss (as shown in most of the pictures) though 8 finishes are offered, the aged moss goes best with my house.

If I do these, I will do the pair.........so pretty!! I have a "thing" for classical cherubs!

Which of the cherubs is your favorite? I love them all and honestly having a heck of a time deciding! 

And here for no real reason at all, other than I just love these pictures that make me feeling something.....
Isnt' this an amazing picture? 
I have been in love with this picture for forever...the colors, the setting, the time of day and lighting, I am imagining its near Provence or Tuscany, the table is waiting to be set with a rustic elegant dinner for friends and family.....ahhhh love this picture!

Last random tidbit, probably my most favorite dessert in the entire world is a really good key lime pie...the tanginess of lime with the buttery crunch of the graham cracker crust....can I get a "yum"! So.....this is being hailed as the best recipe and was featured on Oprah as such.......planning to make this one day very soon but just in case you are in a baking mood, here it is...and promise me you will tell me if its really "all that"!

Best Key Lime Pie
Servings: Serves 8
Ingredients:
Graham Cracker Crust:
  • 3/4 pound graham crackers
  • 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 2 sticks melted butter
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
Filling:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
  • 2/3 cup fresh Key lime juice
  • 1 lime , grated zest
Topping:
  • 1 cup heavy or whipping cream , chilled
  • 2 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions:
To make graham cracker crust: Preheat the oven to 325°.
Break up the graham crackers, place in a food processor and process to crumbs. Add the melted butter, sugar and salt and pulse until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan, forming an even layer on the bottom, sides and edge. Bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool.
To make filling: While the crust is resting, in an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, whip the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until fluffy, or 5 to 6 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to whip until thick, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice until incorporated.
Pour the mixture into the crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until the filling has just set. Cool on a wire rack, and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
To make topping: Whip the cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until nearly stiff. Evenly spread the whipped cream on top of the pie, and place in the freezer for 20 minutes prior to serving.

So....that's what's new around here. Wishing everyone a fabulous weekend......filled with good things, great food, lots of laughter and the Olympics!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment