Monday 18 February 2013

Adding Personality to the Master Bathroom - Part 1

As we rang in 2013, I posted a list of my home goals for the year.  Among them was my resolution to add some personal touches to my master bathroom.  I'm proud to say that it's only six weeks into the year and I'm already on my way to accomplishing this goal.  I guess I shouldn't brag too much about my accomplishment - I got a huge head start in 2012.   You see, back in July of last year, I had a contractor come in and remove the builder grade mirrors and patch the walls.  That was the most difficult task in the bathroom.  After the mirrors were down and the wall was repaired, everything else was cosmetic.  I wish I had some before photos to share with you, but my dog chewed up the camera card that I suspect contained the bathroom pictures.  That means we can get right to the good stuff - the after photos.
I'm thinking that giant vent on the tub surround could be painted so that it blends in with the tile.

Like I said, the first thing I did was have the wall of mirrors ripped out.  I replaced them with these large framed ones from Ikea.
To save money, I kept the existing lighting over the sinks.  It wouldn't be my first choice for lighting, but it's fine for now.  I also kept the existing countertops.  I toyed with the idea of replacing them with granite, but a quick MLS search revealed that all the homes for sale in my neighborhood have these same countertops.  Since I know this isn't my forever home, I don't want to add too many features with a low return on investment. 

While the contractor was here removing mirrors and patching holes, I had him replace the sink and tub faucets.  I chose this model.  I got it from Overstock.  It was also available from Home Depot, but Overstock was considerably less expensive.  I also had a 7% off coupon for Overstock, which brought the price down even further.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but we added some color to the walls by painting them Sherwin Williams Basket Beige.  We also added some accessories, like this print by a Memphis artist...

 
and these glass candle holders topped with an interesting pair of candles, all from Pottery Barn Outlet.
 
My favorite type of basket (seagrass) holds some fresh white hand towels
 
A collection of picture frames from Target and Marshall's surrounds an apothecary jar from Home Goods.  I'll get my own pictures in those frames soon, I promise.  The glass jar is great for storing my soaps.
The tub faucet is new, too.  I believe it came from Home Depot.
 
You may remember that I made the towel rack out of an old shelf.  You can read more about that here.

 
I didn't change anything in the shower, but I thought you might like to see it. 

There you have it - my upgraded master bathroom.  I know it still looks a bit flat, but it's a huge improvement over what it once was (ugh, I wish I had those before photos!).  I hope to continue to add more personality and possibly a bit of color with the addition new rugs and some art between the mirrors.  With the neutral backdrop I've got in place, the possibilities are limitless.
 
 
Linking To:

http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/



HookingupwithHoH

shabby creek cottage It's Overflowing

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Life on Lakeshore Drive

UndertheTableandDreaming Home Stories A2Z
Today's Creative Blog My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Debbiedoo'sTDC Before and After


No comments:

Post a Comment