Friday 9 August 2013

Flashback Friday #1 - Renovation Style, Summer 2011


Hello, everyone!  Some of you may have heard me mention that I hoard love shelter magazines.  I save the ones I love for years. It's lucky for all of you that I've amassed quite a collection. I thought it would be fun to take a look back at some of my favorite rooms and articles from over the years. Since many of my magazines were published before the days of Pinterest, many of the images will be new to you.  We'll call it "Flashback Friday."

For my first flashback Friday feature, we'll take a look at a home  featured in the Summer 2011 issue of the Better Homes and Gardens special interest publication called Renovation Style.  The living room is featured on the cover of the magazine.  When I saw it I was immediately attracted to it because it's a look similar to what I'd like to have in my living room (although I haven't quite achieved it).



Homeowner Kim Scodro did a brilliant job designing and decorating a pair of prewar Chicago apartments. The results are both sophisticated and welcoming.
Despite it's simplicity, the entryway makes an impact.


The living room is also simple, although far from boring.

White cabinets (my personal favorite), subway tile and high-end appliances were used to create a kitchen that manages to be both classic and fresh.

 I love the variety of seating options around the table in the breakfast nook.
 

In the dining room, the fabric on the upholstered bench adds just enough pattern to keep things interesting.  The unique chandelier adds even more interest.
 

Can you believe that this sitting area is a part of the master bedroom?  Again I am noticing the homeowner's choice of chandelier.  How could I not notice that gorgeous fixture dripping with crystal balls?  Makes me think that I should pay more attention to the overhead lighting in my own home.  The magazine didn't show the bed/sleeping area, but if you look to the right of this photo you get an idea of what it might look like.

That concludes our tour of this Chicago home.  Did you love it as much as I do?  What was your favorite room?  I'm torn, but I'm leaning toward the living room.  I can just picture sitting in there enjoying a glass of wine with a few close friends.  In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, I must mention that the article was written by Mara Boo, produced by Hilary Rose, and the photography credit goes to Werner Straube.

No comments:

Post a Comment