Thursday 10 November 2011

Things I am loving Thursday and house updates!!

Good morning everyone!  Oh boy, loooong week here, patience wearing thin. Haven't done much of anything that isn't somehow house related (but some exciting things nonetheless) and I thought this was going to be a shorter post than usual but as it turns out ironically its turning out to be a lengthier post than usual..so hope you have a few extra minutes on your hands, to sit back and relax for a few! Also I got a lot of questions regarding sconces, cabinet colors, etc....am getting that information for you together and will hopefully post answers on Saturday.

Anywho, things are buttoning up, and we really might be able to move in by Thanksgiving. By the skin of our teeth. In sleeping bags. Just kidding about the sleeping bags part. I am hoping, crossing my fingers and my toes and very much counting on it, but its cautious optimism at this point my friends and could go either way. So first results from our weekly "Which would you choose" then house updates and then a few other goodies. Not a lot of goodies, mind you as I really haven't had a lot of opportunity to do much that isn't house related but I am not complaining!


Here are the results of this weeks "Which would you choose"......must say like many of you indicated, I was really torn between a few, and happy that 2 of my tops made it into the finalist rounds!
Here we go......

                                            1st place with a whopping 51 votes

2nd place tied with 40 votes a piece


3rd place with 26 votes

4th place wtih 16 votes

Now onto this weeks post.....

HOUSE UPDATES. We are making big progress, yes I know I have been saying this for a loooooooong time now. Believe no one feels how long its been more than me! But at last I really am starting to see a light at the end of a tunnel here. Carpeting is getting installed today! Doorknobs got put in late yesterday and look fabby. I cannot wait to have an "unwrapping and cleaning party". Never will housework look like and be so incredibly joyful as it will that fine day.
Everything we have done is pretty much all covered up with paper, special cardboard (our builder is very meticulous) the only downside is all the beauty is well covered up and frankly I am a little tired of seeing all that paper!  A big development was the installation of the floor in the tower...LOVE is the only word that comes to mind, I really am thrilled with how it came out.
I just want to rip it all off and stare and marvel at all we have done. In due time, I know. To some including my husband who thinks I am delirious it might seem crazy, but I still want to be in there right before Thanksgiving. Yes, the whole house will not be done, yes there will still be lots of work going on and yes it will be a major pain that no doubt I well curse myself for at least a few dozen times BUT at least I will be home. That's how I look at this...I am ready, have been ready and just about reached my threshold. Got there pretty late so the outside pics for lack of a better word are pretty pathetic, but you get the idea.....

Front entrance making headway, it was just about dark by the time I got there...

The long awaited entry/tower floor!!!!!!!!!!
Love it.....


Samples for backsplash for kitchen, its a yes! FINALLY!



Family room timbering all done, first coat of paint is starting


Faucets are in .......
Ceiling is done in kitchen....one more thing done there!
Sons bathroom and vanity with sconces


Other sons bathroom and sconces


Youngest sons bathroom and sconces 




AMAZING DEALS AND STEALS  ON FURNITURE. Who doesn't love a bargain? Well I for one LOVE getting a deal and I hit the jackpot over at Safavieh's warehouse sale!! It officially begins this weekend in Port Washington, NY but we were able to go over ( a small group of us for a preview) as one of my friends was buying things for her daughter who lives out of town and she scored big time and of course I found a few goodies too!  Its in their monster of a warehouse, something like 150,000 sq feet and feels like an airport hanger!!! Its HUGE and chock full of the best deals I have ever seen of furniture, lighting, accessories, paintings, antiques,etc....its endless!!!!!! If you happen to leave within driving distance and want info click here.  Here is the lowdown.......
How about this gorgeous chaise for $695!!!!!!!!! Got it for my sitting room and going to recover it in a fabric that works for my bedroom thought this velvet is mighty pretty.....
And this settee for $695!!!! I am brainstorming as to where I could put this!
Bought this as an extra chest for somewhere, maybe guest room for $700!
My friend got this beautiful Belgian inspired set including 4 chairs for $1300!!

This beautiful black French end tables...were around 400!
Thought this was very pretty for a kitchen, my friend bought it for her breakfast room

I got this English center table for our living room, its very substantial and gorgeous!
Love what they put on all their boxes....and boy are they ever right!
Isn't this a great looking little chair for a ladies desk? I bought one for $295!!
 These two tables and chairs were so increidbly reasonable! I love the Belgian/European feeling.....great for a beach house, don't you think?


They got in a container of beautiful rustic Brazilian antiques that were gorgeous
It went on for what looked like MILES.......
Loved these small elegant end and coffee tables, the workmanship was incredible!
Stunning rug!
Theres my table again.....its a real stunner in person.


I bought this French chandelier to the left, isn't it pretty?


My other friend bought this for her daughters first new home (shes a newlywed) for $375!
I love this scalloped chest and am debating on it for the family room
Close up of the other chest
Isn't this antique pair of 12 foot antique Brazilian doors just grand?

POSSIBLE SLABS FOR MY ISLAND. So....my good buddy and I made a day trip and drove upstate to CT. and saw two slabs that actually work really nicely with my kitchen and current countertops. Only problem is that this company is also a fabricator and they want to do the job whereas we have already contracted a local person to fabricate the entire house. So..now we are trying to work this out. This is the first marble I have seen that works so I am excited but only if we can work out a deal. I am hoping, here are the pics, if you look carefully you will see a small piece of marble being held up next to them,  that's a piece from my countertops...what do you think? Feel free to weigh in.......its a really good match, the veining is very nice but not overpowering as some are. I don't want it to take away from other things going on in the kitchen. Fingers crossed. Anyone who has shopped for stone I know understands what this is all about.......
So here's the match, the small piece at right is my current coutertops









ONE HECK OF A DELICIOUS DINNER. OK I loved feeling like I was Mario Batali, actually on second though lets go with Giada, yeah I think I like feeling and looking like Giada better:) So Tiffany over at Savor Home,(awesome blog by the way that I  newly discovered)  posted her ridiculously professionally looking pictures of this dish for a contest and shared the recipe. I was so inspired that I made it that very night. Well......Let me tell you in four words....OUT OF THIS WORLD.
 It was not difficult, and it was soooooooooo good. The key is getting really good clams, I was lucky we have a fabulous seafood shop not too far who caters to all the restaurants in the area and they get the good Manila clams (vongele) and I cannot tell you how delicious this was. Not a drop left!! Sharing the recipe with you, its a "must make" kind of recipe. You owe it to yourself and to your family to do "the right thing" :) So I am using Tiffany's amazing picture..because we all know there is no way I could take one that could look that good!  Recipe to follow.....
Spaghetti with clams

  • 1 pound dried spaghetti
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 shallots thinly sliced
  • 5 to 7 cloves garlic finely chopped
  • 2 1/2 pounds Manila clams, scrubbed clean
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 2 tablespoons butter, diced into small cubes
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 lemon, zested, for garnish
Directions
In a large pot, bring to a boil 6 quarts of salted water. Add pasta, stirring constantly in the beginning to prevent it from sticking together. Cook until al dente about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. When almost smoking, add shallots and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the clams and wine. Cover and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until most clams have opened.
Add 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Whisk in butter to thicken sauce slightly.
Drain pasta in a colander. Do not rinse pasta with water - this will remove the pasta's natural starches. Place pasta into the clam saute pan and mix thoroughly. Check seasoning.
Pour pasta into large serving bowl. Zest lemon over the dish, being careful not to zest the white part of the lemon, which is bitter. Garnish with remaining parsley. Serve immediately and be sure to save an extra helping for yourself (Giada would not say that she would say make sure your guests have plenty first but when you see how good it is you will see why my advice trumps hers)


A REALLY GREAT HOLD EVERYTHING TOTE BAG. Got an amazing tote bag that literally holds just about everything but the kitchen sink, I kid you not. In addition to being super utilitarian it is also quite good looking and HUGE, and this particular tote comes in 19 spiffy fabrics, something for everyone!! This bag is one of their bestsellers and is called the original Deano tote and is literally indestructible, I kid you not!  I love this company, Scout totes from Bungalow Co. and in case you are not familiar with their awesome line of products they offer everything from amazing totes, to bins, coolers,luggage and fabulous goodies for babies and kids too...all in super chic fabrics. It is a line you should know about if you dont' already. This bag goes with me EVERYWHERE. Click here to visit this awesome company. 



And heres some other goodies from their fabulous line of products!














So that is what I have been up to this week. Woke up again at 4:40 am!!!!! A million things going through my head, call the plumber, my sons orthodontist, send a birthday gift, cancel this, set up that, Calgon take me away!! Whats new with you? Anything new or exciting you have discovered? Any great deals or bargains you want to tell us about? Do tell!! Wishing you all a fabulous day.





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment