Thursday 3 November 2011

Things I am loving Thursday and house updates!

Good morning....I don't want anyone feeling too badly for me about my rant on Tuesday, though I did enjoy the attention and the kind words:) I know life could be worse than sitting alone with Teddy alone on Halloween night looking out at the dark empty street with nary a trick or treater in sight (unless you count the Chinese speaking rapper upstairs who moonlights as  my teen aged son..lol). It wasn't a great day (coupled with many other things that went wrong that day) but you better believe next Halloween I am going to celebrate like no jack o lantern or goblin has ever seen! 

 Pulling out all the stops, maybe an intimate dinner with close friends or even a party, my imagination is the only thing in my way, there will be no stopping me! But seriously thank you for all your kind words....meant so much, you have no idea! But now that Halloween is a done deal, I cannot believe Christmas is going into full swing!! Yesterday in my town they were already putting up Christmas wreaths and decor...huh? Where DID the time go?

Its been a crazy week (yea I know what else is new) so much happening over at the house, but we are chugging right along. I suffer from migraines and am taking Relpax but it makes me dizzy and very tired. Migraines last few months have been frequent and pretty bad, I am sure very much stress related.  You cannot possibly understand unless you are going through it how the "devil really is in the details" and to say its painstakingly slow is an understatement. We are really hoping and praying to move in this month, but in a few weeks I will know better, as loose ends start tying up.

A few questions to answer-

For my guest post on Pretty Pink Tulips yesterday (please visit if you didn' t get to see it), got some inquiries about the boots and the bag featured. The boots are from Frye  and the bag is from Bottega Veneta.


Then many of you loved my new coat that I ordered and wanted to know who made it and where they could find it..thanks I am flattered (just hope I don't look like a snowman in it) It is from Soia and Kyo, think its Canadian and you can now buy it on Bluefly and lucky you its on sale for less than I paid!!



And this comment from an "anonymous" poster  and I quote

 "Love the Tori Burch bags and the cookie cups!! Just wondering why you never post any pics of you home now or yourself.....only pics of things you like from other places. Your "dream home" is beautiful....but is it yours really?? I just starting to get a weird feeling about this blog. Have a great Saturday!!"

Yes, it really is my house and if you follow my blog you will see I post updates every single Thursday!! Thanks for the compliment. I think. (this had to make me laugh)

Who makes this flatware? First one believe it or not is from Pottery Barn and the second one is from Horchow 


Where is this caned bench from? Love it too, its from Chelsea Textiles

That about wraps up the questions, if I left something out just let me know!





HOUSE UPDATES. Butlers pantry is officially done except paint but need your advice on knobs, see below! Kitchen is getting painted, range coming in next week (Put it off until paint is done) ceiling treatment got done, will include pics below and paint is pretty much done upstairs. Now they are just staring doorknobs and carpet coming in Nov.10th...woo hoo! The limestone around front entrance is moving along, but we are waiting for the rest of it coming on Nov.7th but I had to include a picture of the gorgeous design that is going above the front door, seeing it suddenly made this maddening long wait a little more worth it. OK, a lot more worth it. Enough chatting, here is the low down......

Please excuse these not so great pictures, they were shot at night and I have yet to figure out how to set my camera for night pictures, its always a crap shoot when I take them.....


First coat of stain in back stair hall
Ahh, this is a little better!
Laundry room just getting put in

Back stairs going down to basement
Was trying to get a ceiling shot of finished ceiling

Need your honest advice here...they sent me the wrong sized knobs for the butlers, they are  the larger sized knobs, not sure if I think they are too big or not, included several not so great pictures...please tell me what you really thing, should I take them off (not a huge deal ) and get the smaller knobs? They are bout 1/4 inch smaller......
Hardware done in butlers









 The rest are the family room pretty much done!! Except for mantle due in about 3 weeks.....









Test colors for family room

And I had to show you this, hot off the presses and en route to us in a few days, the completed carved limestone that will grace our front door entrance surround





BELLA CUCINA. I have written about them before but really really like their products. Found them a few years ago and have since remained devoted to a few products in particular. Great to have on hand for unexpected guests and especially wonderful to have around the holidays!  Some of my personal faves are the artichoke lemon pesto which is out of this world  (and don't you love their pretty packaging) and the walnut sage pesto is really yummy too. Then you have olives, flatbreads, many other pestos, gift sets and you are talking about one fabulous little line!  Click here to visit them.




And found out they have a shop/cafe in Atlanta...has anyone been? I would love to visit!!







A FEW GREAT BOOKS. I have had my Charles Faudree books for some time, the minute one comes out I am signed up to get it. I have to say few books offer the kind of "bang for your buck" that his books do. As we are just starting to think about decorating our home, I am resorting more to magazines and my book collection. Few have me going back over and over, every page of every one of his books is so chock full of detail, he is such a master. I have really enjoyed going through each and every page and sometimes seeing small details I missed the first few times I saw them....cannot recommend his books highly enough!! Seriously they are like the gift that keeps on giving! Charles if you are reading this (Just kidding) please come out with another!!










A SINFULLY GOOD COOKIE RECIPE. OK, we are back to food. I am sorry, I know I did many of you in when I shared the amazing oatmeal cookie recipe, but now it has competition. These are soooooo good, and of course because my hubby loves pistachios, you just know being the devoted wife i am that I just have to make these of course and naturally I will have to sample  a few to be sure they are acceptable for my hubby and kids to eat. The only moral thing to do is share with you the recipe. Proceed at your own risk:)



Ingredients for Pistachio cream cheese cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened 
1 3 ounce package cream cheese, softened 
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1  egg 
1 teaspoon vanilla 
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
2  teaspoons finely shredded orange or lemon peel (optional) 
1/2 cup finely chopped lightly salted pistachio nuts

In a large bowl, combine butter and cream cheese. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. If desired, stir in orange peel.

Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 7-1/2-inch-long roll (about 1-1/2 inches in diameter). Roll in pistachio nuts. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 1 hour or until dough is firm enough to slice. Or freeze dough for up to 2 months.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in the preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack; cool. Makes about 44 cookies.


            



VAGABOND HOUSE. Love this line and every year around the holidays, I buy a piece or two for myself (early birthday gift) and a few to give as special gifts for Christmas . They are expensive but are like collectible items. If you are seriously interested in a piece, contact me as I am able to get a significant discount. The line is just exquisite. Here's a look at some of their amazing pieces......click here to visit Vagabond House.










A FUN STYLE QUIZ. While visiting my buddy, Elizabeth's great blog yesterday, Pine Cone and Acorns (Love the name and its a fantastic blog) I came across this style quiz! It was so much fun, takes just a minute....aren't you curious as to what your style is? Mine came up two different ways the two times I took it and I have to say it for the most part, pegged me and my style quite accurately. It's a lot of fun!  Click on link below to launch quiz.


                               http://www.stylishhome.com/Design/Style-Maker-Quiz


Well folks that about wraps things up over here. Off to a busy day and wishing everyone a fantastic day!! Tomorrow is the next "which would you choose" hope you will swing by to cast your vote!

PS Red Door Home was so kind to feature my blog as her "Blog of the month". I am so incredibly honored!! She did a such a lovely write up....thank you Stacy! Please visit by clicking here.





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment